We made it to Gambell!!!


Saturday, October 29, 2011

The funny things kids say...


We've been trying to keep track of all the funny things the kids say, some of these phrases are not just the students but lots of people in the community...


"I never!" means "I didn't do that", or "I have never done that or tried that"

"I even!" and "Either me!" means "me too" or "I want to do that, too"

"I jokes" is a very popular phrase meaning "just kidding" or "just joking"

"Is it home time?" home time meaning "time to go home"

"This kind" is something the kids say when they are referring to anything; for example if a student hurt their elbow, he/she would turn to you and say, "I hurt my this kind" pointing to their elbow; or if they needed help with a problem on a worksheet, he/she would raise their hand and say, "I need help with this kind" pointing to the problem. Derek has noticed in the first grade that the students say, "Can I have one of this kinda?" meaning "sort of like this" like if what they are pointing to isn't exactly what they want, like if they were pointing to a pencil, but wanted a marker.

In the middle and high school, the older students will call flipping someone off "middle fingering" so when a student said, "Ms. Buck! He's middle fingering me!" I replied, "Johnny, stop middle fingering Bobby." HA!

"He's bothering!" is another popular one meaning, "He's bothering me"

"Annoying" and "Boring" are words each teacher hears 50 times a day; no matter what subject, assignment, or activity - I'm pretty sure the students don't even what these words mean because when I said, "Hey were are going to carve pumpkins now!" I heard, "Annoying"   WHAT??!! One morning, Derek was walking down the hall during breakfast, when all the students are supposed to be in the cafeteria. He saw one of his students running in the hall, with his mom walking behind him. Derek said to the student, "Johnny, you're not supposed to be in the hall, you need to go back to the cafeteria." Johnny replied, "Annoying." and the mother starting laughing at her son's cute response to the teacher. Derek looked at her, paused a moment, and said straight faced, "That's not funny."







No comments:

Post a Comment