We made it to Gambell!!!


Saturday, August 13, 2011

We've arrived!!!

Hi everybody! Welcome to our blog! This is our first time blogging, so we're still figuring out the kinks. We've been having a great time here in Alaska site seeing, traveling, rationing food, freezing, patiently waiting for our boxes we shipped to come in the mail, and making great friends:)
Packing!

Luna Baby

Filling our storage unit
















last night in Portland spent sailing on the Columbia River...

...with Chris Gillaspie on his boat

"I'm sailing!"




















on the plane to Anchorage


Luna did so well!

Our final destination! We actually ended up getting our own P.O. Box, # 232, but either address will get to us. Make sure to spell out ALASKA instead of AK - it often goes to Arkansas!


Our journey began when we landed in Anchorage on August 1st to partake in the Bering Straight School District's Welcome Wagon for three days to help new hires adjust to living in the bush. Derek and I tried to be as prepared as possible, organized, and keeping an open mind about everything; except Derek and I always leave things to the last minute, with an intentional effort to plan, but always seeming to be running late, forgetting important things, yet still laughing in the end. So when we get off the plane, my first time in Alaska, I tell Derek to get out his phone to call our person who is supposed to pick us up at the airport. Derek pats his pockets, looks at me with his mouth slightly open and says, "I forgot my phone in Portland." We're off to a good start. We end up rearranging a ride, meanwhile Derek keeps yelling, "It's freezing in Alaska!"

4 comments:

  1. I have the phone! I'll keep it with your car keys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jena set us up with a Google account and we bookmarked the blog! All set :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great laugh!!
    Those children of Gambell are in for a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lacy! This is Andrea from HRMS. I just moved to Juneau for a job working with Juneau Youth Services (serving kids in state custody). It's nowhere near as remote as Gambell, but if you ever need a contact in the capitol city, let me know! Looks like you guys are having a grand adventure so far :)

    ReplyDelete